Monday, April 30, 2018

Design Wall Monday

I taught six straight days last week (Monday thru Saturday - 2 umbrella classes, 3 jelly roll rug classes, and a stacking pop up class), so yesterday was a catch up day at home. I was pretty successful at taking care of the household stuff, but by 8:30pm I was ready to sit at my own sewing machine and do some mindless sewing. 

Since I have more Jelly Roll Rug classes coming up, including one tomorrow, I decided that I should make another sample. I went to the container where I had previously put some of my packages of 2.5" strips (potential rugs) and pulled out one that I thought would be fun to work with.   




This is a very pretty collection of fabrics, but I didn't notice until after I had sewn them all together and was actually making the rug, that some of the fabrics are repeated four times. I basically just pulled the fabrics from one side, sewed them together, and just started over and added the next side. I kind of wish I had played a little with the placements,

I am almost done with the rug but am not sure that I want to use the final strip of dark fabric.



If I continue and finish sewing the strip, a little over half of the rug will have two rows of the dark fabric and I think that might make it look lopsided. 

I decided to leave it as is overnight and make my decision later this morning. 

See, this really is pretty fabric. I'm just not sure that I love it as a rug. I'll finish it and I'm sure it will grow on me.


What are you working on today?

Check out the quilting eye candy at 



4 comments:

Meloney said...

I want to make a rug, but just have not accomplished it yet. Too many other projects that I already know how to do. LOL
Love that rug. I like the dark on the outside.

chrisknits said...

I think it lovely. I agree with not finishing that dark strip. It's framed quite nicely as is.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love fabric rugs... so fun and pretty!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It is lovely fabric, and the dark frames it nicely at the end. I would definitely be tempted to stop to keep it balanced. I bet it will grow on you and I hope your classes go well this week; you've been busy!