Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday Finished and More

As I stated in my last post, my sewing time has been limited due to some dental issues. I'm feeling better; but with more work being done earlier this week, and more to come in the next couple of weeks, I'm still kind of a mess. Even with that though, I've been successful at doing some sewing, just nothing that requires a great amount of thinking.  😀

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a picture of what looked like a very messy and crowded design wall. I've been working on those items and am happy to say that I'm being successful at finishing some things.

I completed the binding on my 24" version of the Tartan Terrace Table Topper and I like how it looks. Not bad for using scraps to test my math skills.  😉  I think I might make the larger version too. It's pretty easy and goes together quite quickly.


I also quilted and bound my larger Faith Hope Love wall hanging. In the past, I've generally made three individual wall hangings and I've always liked them. (I think they make great gifts, especially wedding gifts.) I've only made one other single wall hanging before, and I wasn't in love with it. I followed the pattern instructions, but felt like everything was too close together and cramped. I made adjustments and this is a bit larger (44" wide x 23" high) and like it much better. 


Here's the backing I chose and I'm very pleased with that! 


I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I think I want to make yet another version of this. I envision more spaces between the figures and making it longer - like twice as long. I've sketched some quilting ideas for those extra open spaces and think that I'd like this as a bed runner. I'll keep you posted...

Buried underneath a bunch of smaller projects on that design wall was this Patty Cake Quilt. The top was complete when I posted that pictures but I was debating on what I wanted to do for the backing.  


Here's what I decided. I took the scraps from piecing the blocks and what I had left of the background, and pieced this. I'm happy with results. 


This is actually on the frame waiting for me to feel good enough to quilt it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that happens today, but won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.


I'm stitching the binding down to the last side of my large version of the Wayward Transparency This should be done tonight and I'll post pictures of both of my versions. I really like this quilt and am so happy I participated in the Quilt Along with Yvonne of Quilting Jetgirl


I used some of the same fabrics from my Wayward Transparency quilt for this Zen Table Runner, which uses a Curvy Log Cabin Ruler. This is quilted and ready for binding. Since it's not very large (18" x 52"), I should be able to get this done tonight too. Yay!  I pulled some of the binding back and clipped it to verify that I liked my dark brown binding choice. I do! 


Here's a close up of the quilting. I used a simple meander in the blue and then freehand quilted repeating half circles in the dark areas. In retrospect, I really should have used my walking foot for this. I did that on the first one and since this one is for me, I was feeling a bit daring and decided to try it freehand. I think I was over-confident in my skill level because there is some unequal spacing between the lines on many of these. Good thing I had matching thread! I pieced the backing from left over fabric and will show that when it's all quilted. (Yikes! The uneven quilting lines really show up there!)


Also on that design wall were blocks from the pattern testing I did for Rachel Rossi. The top is done and I'm deciding on backing so I can get busy quilting it. I can't share it yet, but will do so when Rachel gives the go ahead. I like how it turned out and can't wait to show you!

I guess that I better hop off of here if I want to accomplish everything on my list. Oh what should I do first.....

I'm linking up with Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. If you need inspiration or want to see some really neat quilting stuff, be sure to check out Sarah and the others who link up today. 

2 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope that you continue to feel better! I am definitely excited about your Wayward Transparency, and the Faith, Hope, Love quilt is stunning.

colleen said...

I have had a great deal of dental work over the years, I may have felt your pain.