Sunday, October 25, 2015

Is It a Sign?

I quit drinking soda a while back and haven't had one since very early summer. I'm happy to have done it and know it was a healthy choice to make. I didn't have much trouble stopping and rarely have a craving for it, and I was happy about that. (Jack did not have such an easy time when he quit drinking Pepsi way back in March. He craved it for a almost a whole month.) 

Yesterday was a different story for me. I was craving Diet Coke all day and knew that there were some bottles of it here because Paula left some after Sisters' Weekend. Even though it's been here (I have that and Pepsi for visitors.), it hasn't been a temptation - until yesterday.

I don't know why yesterday was different, but it was and nothing seemed to work to take my mind off of it. So I grabbed one from the refrigerator and happened to look at it before I opened it. Imagine my surprise when I saw this.



Yep! It was my name on the bottle and it's even spelled the same way that I spell mine! I thought a little bit and wondered if this was a sign that the Coca-Cola company misses me and that I should start consuming Diet Coke again on a regular basis. Wouldn't that be amazing that such a large company knows me and misses me so much that they planted this particular bottle of Diet Coke in my refrigerator? They were just waiting for me to come back to them. (Actually, that would be kind of creepy!)

Alas, I decided that it was pure luck and that I am not really a big deal for the company. I mean, the chances that they know me and read my blog are pretty slim; and I'm pretty sure no one from the company has taken a quilting class from me. :-)  hehehehe

What I did decide is that I was going to open this bottle and drink some Diet Coke! 

I didn't drink all of it, just enough to satisfy my craving. (I know that was wasteful, but I'm ok with that.) I also decided that the "sign" involved here is that it's ok for me to give into cravings and enjoy a little of this every so often. I don't see myself drinking it regularly again, just every once in a while. 

Because I was in a "deep thinking" mode yesterday, I thought about how this "sign" or lesson could spread to other parts of my life, more specifically, quilting.   

I haven't bought fabric "just because" for quite a long time. I have a substantial stash and have been using it quite regularly. Anymore, I generally only buy fabric when I need it for a specific project or I know that my stash is running low in something - like neutrals. Now don't get me wrong; even though I may be buying for specific projects, that doesn't mean that I get to them right away. Oh, life would be grand if that was the case. :-)

Anyway, back to my "sign." I think the quilting lesson that can be learned from the Diet Coke experience is that it's ok if I give in to my fabric cravings every so often. Not all of the time, but every once in a while. 

Now, I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I'll be traveling soon and have the opportunity to shop at an amazing quilt shop and buy fabric at a reduced price? 

Nah, that can't be it. :-)    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As I was reading this the biggest thought in my head was God Wink. I think sometimes we receive one of these and it's God saying Gotcha! and I love you, and it's all good, cause I'm here... And I'm pretty sure you are meant to be buying some fabric in the near future :-).

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Ok, I prefer to think of this as a Halloween trick, since the holiday is knocking at the door...but then Deep Thinking takes over...my grandsons accuse me all the time of thinking too deep. You HAVE to give in to a craving or it turns obsessive. The trick is to know if the craving is hurtful..if not it's ok to cave. Now fabric..quilt shopping at a discount...NOT hurtful at all!!
xx, Carol