Sunday, September 6, 2015

Busy, Busy, Busy

Here's just a picture of one of the things I've been doing the last few days; and if you do any canning, you'll know what this picture is.


End result - 40 quarts of pickled beets!


I know. That's a lot of beets, but they aren't all for me. A number of years ago I worked out a deal with my ex-in-laws. Since they like to garden and I don't particularly enjoy it, we agreed that if they grew the beets, I would can them for all of us. Since I don't mind canning, I thought it was a great idea. 

These will be distributed between a bunch of different people and it really is a pretty sight to have them all sitting on my counter cooling and hearing the popping to signify that they have sealed properly. Out of 40 quarts, only one did not seal and that makes me very happy.

Another thing that makes me happy is that I did NOT wait until this weekend to do the canning. It's been in the mid 90's all day today. That, and that fact that it's Melon Festival weekend and there are a lot of activities going on around here.

No comments: