Monday, August 25, 2014

Design Wall Monday

One of the owners of one of the shops where I teach asked me to offer a lap size log cabin quilt class using the Eleanor Burns method and I thought, "Why not? I already have a sample made." 

Early last week while I was getting my class lists together, finalizing the information for the newsletter and pulling samples, I realized that I had sold the lap size log cabin quilt that I made. ARRGGHHHH!! 

How could I forget that? I had already sent the schedule and the supply list to the shop so I decided I would just have to make another one. It wouldn't take long, and I have a couple of weeks before my samples have to be in the shop anyway. 

So, because I was able to get all of the prep work done for Saturday's sewing event by Friday afternoon, I pulled fabric from my stash and got my book out of the bookcase and figured I'd get working on the quilt this coming week. I had a little free time Friday evening so I cut the fabric and made a couple of blocks. I wanted to audition the fabric placements and make changes as needed. I liked the two of blocks I made but when I put the top together last night, I decided that I don't love it. 



First of all, the picture is not great so that plays a role here. But even considering that, I am not totally sold on the greens that I used or their placements. They aren't terrible, but they don't flow for me. I originally had the greens switched, but the dark green didn't look good next to the leaf fabric and the light green washed out against the red centers. I didn't have other greens in my stash that worked so I decided to go ahead and use these. Mmmmmm, maybe I should have waited. 

I still have to add the borders, which I will do later today so hopefully that will help. And I'll wait and see what the quilting does to it. Again, it isn't terrible, but I think I'll probably make another one for the class. It's small, only 12 blocks and it doesn't take long. Like I said, two of these blocks were done Friday night and the other ten were pieced yesterday afternoon and evening.

I did finish the triangle quilt I was making last week and I do like that! I don't have a picture so I'll have to add it later. I also finished a couple of projects I'll be showing during the two blog hops in which I'll be participating during the month of September. Be sure to stop back to see those.  :-)

Hopefully later today I'll be able to post pictures from Saturday's Old Bags' Day Sew-In. There was a lot of sewing accomplished and some wonderful fellowship. I love those days!


Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.




3 comments:

Ruth said...

I like it! I especially like how the lighter green logs mirror each other.

Needled Mom said...

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I like the colors.

Gayle Bong said...

How did you arrange it with the shop that you didn't have to make a new log cabin sample with "currently available" fabric? Shops where I have taught wouldn't let me use an old sample for nothing. And I think it is beautiful just the way it is.