Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's Like Magic!

I've teased you the last couple of days with some nine patch blocks made using a charm pack of the New Bella Solids by Moda and a bit of white fabric from my stash. 

Notice there is no rhyme or reason to the placement of the colored squares.



After they were sewn together, they looked like this.



I cut them in half, both directions, added a color square in the middle and more white squares and sewed them together to get new and bigger nine patch blocks. 

The only attention I gave to fabric placement was to be sure that the center square was not the same as any of the surrounding small squares. In retrospect, I guess it was a good thing that I also did not have any of the center squares the same color/fabric as the larger corner squares. I didn't do it, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did.


I cut these blocks in half, both directions and them sewed them into this little beauty!


It measures about 38" x 48" and I love it! I'm thinking about the quilting possibilities here and think that this may be my "go to" quilt for baby or quickly needed quilts.

A little while back, my brother sent sent me some information about a double disappearing nine patch and I think I've put this together the same way, but for the life of me I can't find what Jerry sent. So, if you know who is responsible for this block, please let me know so I can give proper credit.  :-)

Update: Thanks Jerry:
Blogger knittingbrow said...
http://afewscraps.blogspot.com/2011/08/double-disappearing-nine-patch.html

it's from here!

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is really cool - I have not seen this before and really need to give this one a try.

Needled Mom said...

That looks amazing!!! Great idea.

knittingbrow said...

http://afewscraps.blogspot.com/2011/08/double-disappearing-nine-patch.html

it's from here!