Thursday, September 27, 2012

Look What Jack Made!

They may not be quilts, but look what Jack made! (In case you don't know, these are keys for sending morse code.) Jack and I are both amateur radio operators (Ham Radio Operators), but I am not active. (Actually, once I started quilting, I kind of lost interest in radio. Imagine that!)

Jack really enjoys code. Me not so much. He would rather make a contact entirely with code and no talking what-so-ever. If you know me at all, you know that I prefer the talking kind of contact. Jack is NI8N and I am W8YCP. (My earlier call was N8QMP, but after Dad died, I requested his first call from the FCC and was granted it in 2004. That made me very happy!)

Anyway, I think these are awesome! And to think Jack makes lots of comments about the amount of work needed for me to make a quilt. I watched him make these, and I'll tell you what. These were not simple little things to make.

This is the second key he made. (For some reason, I don't have a picture of the first one.) He made this without a kit, using his grandfather's telegraph key as his inspiration. 

 
 
This little thing (I think it's cute!) he made to use with his QRP (low power) radio. It is compact so it takes up very little space and is perfect to take in a backpack so he can "play radio" while hiking, etc.
 

 
Here's one similar to the first picture, but with different paddles and mounting. So I guess this really isn't too similar to the first one is it?  :-) 



Here's the latest one he's made. Isn't it pretty? (I know it's not a great picture. Sorry!) 


I like these and know he'll be making more. I really like it when he and I are both in the back room working - him on the radio or making something, and me quilting. Call me a dork, nerd or boring, but that's my definition of a great way to spend an evening!

3 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Nothing makes me happier than to work with my family at my side. So glad you get to do that.

quilary said...

They look awesome...can totally understand you losing interest when quilting came along!

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, this brings back memories! My Dad was a ham operator when I was young. He was K4WYP. I do not know why but I will never forget his code.