Monday, February 27, 2012

Design Wall Monday and More

I'm back from my little hiatus. I've been quite busy the last couple of weeks and something had to give, so it was the blog. During my "away time," I got lots done and practiced my patience skills when things didn't go quite as planned. I also got some quilting done, but not as much as I'd hoped. I'll take some time the next few days and post some pictures of the various projects on which I worked; but since it's Monday and that means it's Design Wall day, I'll post what's up right now.

Even though I haven't quilted the first one, I started a new Voila! quilt last night - in brights! I'll have to double check, but I think all the fabric for this is from the Crush line by Timeless Treasures. I  would never have guessed that I would be making a quilt with bright pink, orange and yellow, but I am, and I'm liking it. Now Jack on the other hands, doesn't really care for this. I told him to wait and see if he changes his mind after I add the border - another stripe.


It sure is different that the other one, isn't it?


As you can see, one of the projects I did NOT get done was to change the fabric on my design wall. I'm going to replace the white batting with brown craft felt. That should help have things like the bright Voila! quilt show up better in pictures as well as give me a better feel for it's overall look just by seeing the contrast. I really think that even when I'm working with black fabric this will be good. I guess I'll let you know or let you be the judge when I finally do get it up and post pictures.

Among some of the other things I did during my "away time" was to go to a quilt show with Jack, Sheryll, Jim and Hannah. We met at Lake Farmpark and spent the afternoon in awe of such talented people. I know the Best of Show Winner - Sue Wilson. Speaking of talented people. She's awesome!

I also had the pleasure of spending a week with Mom while Terri and Danny were out of town, and that was wonderful. It's been a LONG time since I've spent my birthday with Mom and it was fun! I usually send Mom flowers on my birthday because she's the one who did all the work. I just kicked a bit to let her know I was ready to meet the real world; and she and Dad (ok, and all the siblings) had the difficult task of raising me and dealing with whatever drama I deemed to be of the upmost importance on any particular day, so I find that sending flowers is the least I can do.

Anyway, I digress. We spent my birthday afternoon with Nikki, Zach, Quinn, Sadie, Brad, Heather, Aiden and Cameron. We had a "basement picnic" and the kids played while the adults visited. It was fun and Mom was quite tired by the time everyone left so she took a short nap. While she napped, I took the opportunity  to do a bit of mending. Yep, you read that's right. I did some mending! It was for Mom, and that's really the only reason I did it. I really don't like to mend. Can you tell?

Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.
Got o Judy L's Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

swooze said...

WOW! Pink and orange. Love it. Cant wait to see the final product.