Monday, July 19, 2010

Design Wall Monday

Well it's Monday and I have something on the design wall and surprisingly it's not a memory quilt! Since I completed two memory quilts this past weekend (see my previous post for pictures) , I decided to work on a non-memory quilt project yesterday and here's my progress.



This pattern is from a 2009 New Years Eve Mystery hosted by Ann M. Smith. I like participating in mystery quilts, but have to admit that most of the time I opt to make the smallest size available, just in case I don't like the finished product. (It's funny that I say that because I have NEVER participated in a mystery that I didn't like the final product. Perhaps I'm just a big old scaredy cat and haven't learned how to give up some of that control that I like to have!)

Anyway, this was one quilt that I really liked and knew that I would make it again, in a larger size. The original quilt I made was crib size, with no borders. This is a bit larger and will be used as a Quilt For Kids project or just another small quilt to have around the house - you know, we are on baby watch since Nikki is due to have her baby anytime. I'd used this focus fabric for another Quilt For Kids project and had fourteen 6 1/2" squares, plus a strip of 5" x WOF left over. I couldn't bring myself to throw these pieces away because I knew I had a pattern that would use them. I just had to find it in my notebooks.

Unlike the last quilt, I'll be adding borders, but I'm still playing with that. Here is one option.



I think that I want to continue the red and blue fabrics into a first border and "finish" the diamonds. I have to do some math and see if I have enough of these fabrics, but I really don't want to go out and buy fabric to finish this, except maybe the backing.

Do you have a border suggestion?

Check out what other quilters are working on by going to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times blog.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I think it looks great now.

Teaquilts said...

I agree with Chris; the black and gold looks great.

Cathy said...

It's perfect just the way it is. I looked and it and fell in love. Another idea to add to my never ending list. And, I have a fabric that I've been saving for somethinf just like this.

Vicki H. said...

I really like the border you proposed. Nice job

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

ohhh, nice!
glen