Monday, February 22, 2010

Design Wall Monday

I know that it's barely Monday, but I'm leaving the house by 7:30AM and not returning until after 8:00PM so I decided to get this posted early.

All of the pillowcases are washed, dried and ironed! I didn't want to begin layering a quilt late in the evening so I began to press and cut the two patch units for my totally scrappy quilt. If you recall, these were supposed to be leader/enders but I couldn't wait to get started and now all of my two patch units are done. YEAH!!

Since I'm working with 5" squares for the first time and am using the piecing methods from the book Nickel Quilts, I find myself excited to get all of the preliminary piecing done. For the most part, it's fast and painless piecing. Since I didn't have anything else that I wanted to work on, I decided to go ahead and sew the first two seams of the 4 patch units (I need 296 of these suckers). They're all sewn and about a quarter of them are cut into two patches, pressed and layered so they can be sewn into the four patch units. Even though I did all of this, these pieces are NOT on my design wall.

I couldn't resist the urge to open the package from Quilts for Kids and check out the kit they sent me. Of course when I saw the pattern and fabric I decided to go ahead and make the four patch units and maybe put the top together Tuesday when I'll have some sewing time.

Well........



As you can see, I did a little bit more than the four patches. I just have to add the top and bottom border and then I'm ready to quilt it. (I ran out of bobbin thread and decided that was a sign that I needed to go to bed.) The kit came with the backing, so all I have to provide is the batting and binding. This was simple to make and I'll have to go through some stash and make another one to send along when I return this one. Fast, cute and for a good cause!

Be sure to check out what everyone else has on their design walls today. Go to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times blog and get inspired!

6 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I have seen several of these quilts in blogland...they are so cute!

Diane said...

I've made a couple of the quilts for kids-I was amazed when I opened the package and everything was there and strips already cut!

Judy D in WA said...

I have one of those kits on top of my to do pile. They go together so fast and for me, are fun to make.

Karen S said...

Cute quilt!

Kat said...

I love these fabrics! How cute!

I've just discovered though that they provide you with enough backing material that if you lay it out carefully you'll have enough to cut into strips for binding as well! Not terribly imaginative, but it works!

Someone else in blogland gave me the brilliant idea to order/ship multiple kits at once...if you need some down time (QFK feels like the quilting equivalent of summer beach reading to me), order multiple kits using the comments section and they'll send them to you in the same package...not as much fun to check the mail, but it saves everyone on postage!

Ivani said...

Congrats! The quilt is a sweetie and you did a great work of love for the kids.