Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stash Report - Week 2 and A Question

I've been finishing up a lot of loose ends this week so, with one exception, all of my yardage used this week was pretty small. I had been putting off adding binding to three large quilts because I didn't know what fabric to use. Of course, since all three quilts were pieced a LONG time ago (one was pieced in 2005 or 2006 and the other two were pieced early last year!), I didn't have fabric that was used in the quilt to be used for binding. Trying to get into the spirit of stashbusting, I decided to raid my bins and find binding fabric. I was successful on all three counts! YEAH!!!!

Trying to clean up things around here, I've pulled some tops that I made and am ready to quilt. One of the older tops is at one of my BFF's house ready to be quilted on her HQ. It has a pieced backing and I already have the binding for that quilt so it won't count on any stashbusting report, but I'll be thrilled to have it done. I took my blue quilt to her also and it is loaded and waiting for me to get over there and quilt it. This will be my first attempt at using the machine and I'm a bit nervous but what's the worst thing that can happen - I have to take out the stitches?!? I have a couple of smaller quilts that I will quilt here and they shouldn't take long. It's just a matter of sandwiching them and making the time to do it.

I decided that I can't start a new project until I finish one and so far that's been working. Since I finished three quilts, I started working on a Weaver Fever quilt that's using quite a bit of fabric. I did buy some backing fabric for it and I have a question for you all. Since this fabric is wide (108"), do I count the 3 yards I bought as 3 yards, or do I count it as more since everything else is being counted based on 40" WOF? I know this is a technicality, but I plan to finish A LOT of projects this year and I know this will come up again.

Besides busting stash, I am also trying really hard to keep at least part of my work area clean and organized.



I know it's only been since Christmas, but that's a long time for me to have my pressing/cutting area cleaned up and have only the current project on it. It sure has made getting some work done easier. Now I can just run in and start working rather than having to take time to clean off the table, figure out where I'm going to put the stuff so I'll remember where it is, etc. I'm finding that I'll run in and sewing for even just a few minutes now because everything is ready and the task of cleaning up is not so daunting.

Ok, here's the report:

Fabric Used This Week: 10.125

Fabric Used to Date: 34.0

Fabric Added This Week: 3.0

Fabric Added to Date: 26.625

Net Used for 2010: 7.375

3 comments:

Krista said...

Sounds like you've made some great progress this week. I had the same question about counting fabric for backings. I decided it doesn't really matter, as long as you count it the same way on the way in, as you do on the way out :)

I settled on straight yardage, regardless of width. Makes it much easier when sorting through a bunch of receipts - you don't have to remember what was wide and what wasn't, when you add those numbers to your stash.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

I count it as 3 yards, but it's totally up to you.

knittingbrow said...

keep up the good documentation!

You have part of your work area clean? I find that it's really hard for me to keep mine cleaned up. I have been successful at putting all yarn away after I have completed a project. That's helped me.

I'll take a quilt if you need to give stuff a home.